by Nancy Keaton
Oklahoma is finally taking steps to protect kids in schools from the hysterics of uninformed, uneducated, ignorant adults. Legislators have introduced a bill that would do away with zero-tolerance policies in schools. Oklahoma’s bill is called the “Common Sense Zero-Tolerance Act” and if passed, will help stop school personnel from punishing kids from acting like – well, kids.
I have read several articles about the bill but wanted to see the bill itself because I want to make sure I’m not reading someone else’s interpretation, so here are direct quotes from what I feel are the important parts from the bill:
“No school district, school administrator, teacher or other school employee shall punish, humiliate, intimidate, be condescending to, or bully a student, including suspension of the student…”
I particularly like the part where they added that not only would the adults not be able to punish the child in the “typical” fashion but that it also includes prohibiting them from bullying or trying to humiliate them. I myself have seen that happen in schools.
So here are the direct quotes of the things a child cannot be punished for:
“1. Brandishing a pastry or other food which is partially consumed in such a way that the remnant resembles a weapon;
2. Possession of a toy weapon which is five (5) inches or less;
3. Possession of a toy weapon made of plastic or wood snap-together building blocks;
4. Using a finger or hand to simulate a weapon;
5. Vocalizing imaginary firearms or munitions;
6. Wearing articles of clothing or accessories that support or advance Second Amendment rights or organizations. If a school requires students to wear uniforms, the provisions of this paragraph shall not be interpreted to supersede the uniform policy of the school;
Continue Reading at GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns.com